Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 28, 2013

Well, today was our first MRI back at Texas Children's Hospital since we decided to make the switch back from MD Anderson. We arrived at the hospital at 6:30am, checked in and then went back to the MRI Radiology waiting rooms to take his vitals & put in his IV for sedation. He was in very high spirits this morning and made both of us laugh by putting the surgeon gloves on his feet and walked around the room like a duck. ;) He went in for the MRI at 8am and was out of recovery by 10am. We had about 3 hours to spare between appointments, so we took him over to the Houston Zoo to visit Miles the Giraffe. We met with Doctor Rednam at 12:45pm back at TCH. This is the news we got:

Bennett's tumor has continued to grow. We had hopes that possibly it would have remained the same size, but unfortunately it has not. So our Oncologist strongly feels that we should begin chemotherapy treatment immediately. So the doctor will be calling me tomorrow to schedule his port-a-cath surgery date for sometime later this week, and we will begin chemo next Friday. The chemo cocktail he will be given is Carboplatin & Vincristine; once a week for 18 months. If at anytime we can determine that it is not being effective, we will then change him to another cocktail. If that doesn't work, then we will discuss radiation. The purpose of the chemo isn't to necessarily get rid of the tumor, but to in fact just stop its growth long enough until Dr. Rednam feels that Bennett is old enough to start radiation, which he feels age 7 is old enough; which is 4 years from now. His tumor if it continues to grow in the direction that it has, could begin to effect his motor skills and coordination, balance, etc.

So, this is where we are at. We will start chemo next week and pray for the best. Bennett has been amazingly happy through this entire process so far, so I am hoping that this treatment course will not break his spirit. I will begin to to updates weekly so that everyone can see his progress as we go. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all of your support. We couldn't get through this without all of you.

Update: Doctor called this morning, port a cath will be put in Monday June 3, 2013 at 9am by Dr. Ashwin. Chemo set to start Friday June 7, 2013. Here we go....